Cebu province receives P14M cash aid from Pres. Duterte

By: Morexette Marie B. Erram - CDN Digital | December 28,2021 - 12:06 PM
FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte SIMEON CELI/ PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte SIMEON CELI/ PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

CEBU CITY, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte donated P14.1 million as initial financial aid to Cebu province, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said.

Garcia said the Provincial Treasurer’s Office received cash assistance from the President on Monday, December 27, 2021.

Garcia thanked President Duterte for the help. 

But the governor stressed that she will not be asking for further financial aid, saying the funds donated to the province is enough to recover from the devastation left by Typhoon Odette. 

“This I must repeat ha – dili ta mo-demand kay dako kaayo intawon ang destruction sa Typhoon Odette sa daghan kaayong probinsya ang naigo,” Garcia told reporters in a press conference on Monday. 

(This I will repeat – we will not demand because the destruction of typhoon Odette was huge in many other provinces that were hit.)

“Maningkamot lang ta diri sa Cebu. Mobuhat lang ta og unsa’y atong mahimo,” she added. 

(We will strive here in Cebu. We will do what we can do.)

On the other hand, President Duterte planned to revisit areas ravaged by Typhoon Odette. 

Duterte recently visited Siargao Island in Surigao del Norte and Dinagat Islands, and Maasin City in Southern Leyte to assess the damage incurred there.

He also visited Cebu twice – first in Argao town in southeastern portion of the island last December 19, and in Brgy. Tisa, Cebu City on December 23. 

From Dec. 16 to 18, Typhoon Odette ravaged the northern parts of Mindanao and the southern portions of Visayas before battering Palawan — leaving a trail of destruction that is being compared to that caused by Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has so far reported 389 deaths due to Typhoon Odette.

The NDRRMC also said 64 individuals remained missing and 1,146 were injured. The latest report also showed that over 1.07 million families — or more than 4.2 million individuals — in 429 cities or municipalities were affected by the typhoon. / with reports from INQUIRER.net 

/bmjo

RELATED STORIES

A week after #OdettePH, Cebu province to focus on rebuilding

Duterte says he will return to areas hit by Typhoon Odette

Subscribe to our regional newsletter


Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Cebu province, financial assistance, Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia, President Rodrigo Duterte, typhoon Odette

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.