One-month break for PROBE head

By: Jose Santino S. Bunachita June 11,2015 - 12:57 AM

THE head of City Hall’s demolition forces  is taking a one month “sabbatical” to  visit family  abroad,  said Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama amid a threat from political critics to file a case against her for the series of evictions of illegal settlers.

Raquel Arce of the  Prevention Restoration Order Beautification Order (Probe) team said she would go to the US to accompany  her elderly parents who are visiting  her sisters who live in Minnesotta.

Arce said she asked for a three-month leave two months ago but Mayor  Rama granted only one month.

Arce said it may be extended by the mayor depending on the performance of her assistant Wendell Cenas.

“Nobody is indispensable. We also have to feel Probe without Raquel,” the mayor said.

Probe came under fire from the Cebu City Council over the demolition of over 20 structures in a road lot in Ma. Cristina road, brgy Capitol Site.

THREAT TO SUE

Former Cebu City mayor and congressman Tomas Osmeña said he’s preparing a case of usurpation of authority and illegal demolition against Arce for last month’s demolition of several structures along Ma. Cristina Road in barangay Capitol Site.

The demolition was intended to facilitate the road restoration of F. Ramos St. extension.

“This is because of the clamour of the victims of demolition in barangay Capitol Site. Arce should answer in court why she conducted the demolition illegally,” Osmeña said in a phone interview.

He said he didn’t go after the residents who claimed to have lived there since the 1960s during his time as mayor.

“During my administration, I never touched the residents. I left them alone. The road was never in the possession of the city. It belonged to the Osmeña clan,” he said.

Arce said she’s not alarmed by the prospect of facing  charges to be filed by Osmeña.

“Where did I do something illegal?

I had a clearing order from the mayor. I’m just an obedient public servant. It’s not my discretion,” she said when sought for comment.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: brgy Capitol Site, Cebu, Cebu City, Cebu City Council, Cebu City hall, Cebu City Mayor Michael, City Hall's demolition forces, illegal settlers, Ma. Cristina, Mayor Rama, Michael Rama, Minnesotta, Prevention Restoration Order Beautification Order, PROBE, Raquel Arce, sabbatical, US, Wendell Cenas

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.