Nearly 200 families stay in tents after Mandaue fire
AT LEAST 191 families were displaced by the fire that hit two sitios of barangays Ibabao-Estancia and Guizo in Mandaue City last Friday afternoon.
They can’t go back to rebuild their houses.
Ibabao- Estancia Barangay captain Jun del Mar said the Amigo family which owns the private lot had earlier called on occupants to transfer since the property would be sold to Pro-Food, a company which owns the adjacent lot.
He said the family would provide financial assistance to the house owners.
Del Mar said the settlers will be allowed to stay for a month until they find a relocation site.
The fire victims lived in 112 houses, including 14 houses in sitio Sto. Niño at the side of barangay Guizo near the bank of the creek that were all destroyed by the fire, the city’s social welfare services (CSWS) office said.
Jun Del Mar and Guizo barangay chairman Jesus Neri said they will double-check the numbers.
Tents were set up at a vacant lot near the fire site for the victims who were provided packed meals, canned goods, used clothing, kitchen utensils, and blankets.
Relief goods were also sent by the office of Rep. Luigi Quisumbing of Cebu’s 6th district.
Among the fire victims were Jesus Bucar and Madel Remedio, parents of 6-year-old Jessa Mae Bucar who died in the fire.
They said they are willing to relocate elsewhere.
Narsing Arsenal, another resident, who was earlier reported missing has been found and is unharmed.
The Mandaue City Council is expected to approve a resolution in its session this week to allocate cash assistance to the fire victims.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.