Two lanes of South Coastal Road closed for concreting

By: Jose Santino S. Bunachita February 23,2016 - 10:03 PM
TUNNEL ROAD REPAIR/FEB. 23, 2016: A road concreting repair is on going at the approach of the tunnel to and from the Cebu South Coastal Road. Cebu City Tranfortation Office operation chief Joy Tumulac warns motorist of the on going work of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to prevent accidents.(CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama wants the road-concreting project for the two-lane approaches to the Cebu South Coastal Road completed in or before June. (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

Two of the four-lane approaches leading to the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR) Tunnel in Cebu City were closed to allow completion of a road-concreting project in the area.

The Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) reminded motorists that two-way traffic is still allowed in the area but only one lane is passable for each direction.

“In our level, we will just control the traffic and prevent accidents in the area. We will provide one traffic personnel in the area,” CCTO operations chief Jonathan “Joy” Tumulak said.

He said only light vehicles will be allowed to enter the CSCR Tunnel.

Six-wheeler trucks and bigger vehicles will have to pass through the road near Plaza Independencia to get to the South Road Properties (SRP) viaduct.

The road-concreting project of the approaches to the tunnel is being undertaken by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Cebu City District Engineering Office.

It started on the first week of February. Tumulak said he was told that the project duration is two months.

“As of now, traffic in the area is still manageable as long as there are no accidents,” he said.

The project was supposed to be implemented in April last year but Mayor Michael Rama had it suspended since there was an upcoming Ironman event in August last year.

“I’m okay with it now as long as there is still a portion that’s passable. But they have to make it faster. I don’t want it to reach the opening of classes in June,” Rama told reporters.

The CCTO Board also approved a resolution allowing the project to push through.

Nicomedes Leonor, DPWH Cebu City District engineer, said the P16-million project was awarded by DPWH to Virlo Construction last year.

The project includes the concreting of the 580-meter  approaches to both ends of the tunnel  — 290 meters from the South Road Properties (SRP) Viaduct and another 280 meters from the S. Osmeña Road.

Another 10-meter gap between the start of the approach and the end of the already concreted S. Osmeña will also be included in the project.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Cebu, CSCR, Mayor Michael Rama

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.