Bizmen worried; cops say two cases solved

By: Apple Ta-as, Sheila Mae Gumapon, Victor Anthony V. Silva April 25,2016 - 10:33 PM

The series of robberies since last month in Bogo City have worried businessmen in Cebu’s northern city.

Pablo “Jun” Yap Jr., Junrex Cellphone and Accessories owner, said the city was “becoming unsafe for business.”

“In as much as we want to invest in this promising city, but no, thank you. I’m sure authorities have a clear idea on who are behind the series of robberies, but nothing much is happening to pacify or secure the business sector,” Yap said in a text message to Cebu Daily News.

“We are Bogohanons and yet, we are not safe. How much more for others who are not from Bogo?” he added.

Junrex lost about P135,000 worth of mobile phones and cash to robbers on March 29.

Senior Supt. Clifford Gairanod, Cebu Provincial Police Office chief, said the two Junrex case as well as the Gaisano Mall robbery have been solved.

CASES FILED

He said cases have been filed against the identified suspects in the Gaisano robbery.

Police were also preparing the cases to be filed for the Junrex robbery.

Gairanod said one of the suspects was killed in a shootout with policemen in a follow up operation in Consolacion town.

Because of this, he said there was no need to relieve Bogo police chief, Supt. Ricard Oliver, from his post.

But a platoon from the Regional Public Safety Battalion Central Visayas (RPSB-7) would be sent to augment the Bogo City Police and help secure the area against robbers.

ABC HEAD REACTION

Former Bogo City mayor Celestino “Tining” Martinez III, now Association of Barangay Councils president of Bogo, agreed.

“The persons who were behind the robbery have been apprehended,” he said.

“Bogo is a rising city in the north, investments are pouring in, and some people are taking advantage of the situation. Whether good or bad, most of the people are still slowly getting used to the idea,” he said.

Gaisano Superstore was robbed by three men on a motorcycle who took around P114,600 cash. Barely two weeks later, Junrex Cellshop owned by Yap was robbed.

The latest robbery happened last Sunday afternoon after armed men hit Inday Store and fled with at least P100,000 cash.

SAME GROUP

Gairanod said based on their investigation, there was a big possibility that the suspects responsible in the recent heist come from the same local robbery group that carried out the two other robberies in Bogo City.

“This could be an armed group taking a sideline of robbery to earn. We are investigating if they have linkages to politicians, who might use the money for their political campaign,” said Gairanod.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Bogo, roberry

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.