DOH: Iwas Paputok campaign needs more improvement
WHILE most firecracker-related injuries during the holidays involved people in urban centers, data gathered by the Department of Health in Central Visayas (DOH-7) showed a need to improve enforcement of the firecracker ban in rural areas as well.
Citing firecracker incidents in areas like in Sierra Bullones, San Isidro and Carmen, in Bohol; and Amlan, Santa Catalina and Guihulngan City in Negros Oriental, Dr. Shelbay Blanco, Health Emergency Management Staff (HEMS) coordinator noted that some local government units were not well-informed about DOH’s Iwas Paputok campaign.
However, the bulk of injuries came from highly urbanized cities, said Blanco.
In Cebu, the figure slightly increased from 31 cases reported last year to 33 cases as of January 1.
Cebu City recorded at least 11 victims while seven cases were each reported in the cities of Lapu-Lapu and Mandaue.
“Most of the victims were teens because they are still curious to try,” he said.
Overall, there was an almost 50 percent drop in firecracker injuries in the region this year after President Duterte signed the Executive Order No. 28 which limits the use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics to designated areas.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.