‘Setback’ proposed in Lorega fire site

By: Morexette Marie B. Erram November 15,2018 - 11:09 PM

THE more than two hundred individuals displaced by a fire that struck Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Lorega on Wednesday (November 14) can rebuild their homes soon; however, for safety, the Cebu City Department of Welfare for the Urban Poor (DWUP) recommended a setback to widen pathways in the area.

Genevieve Alcoseba, DWUP operations officer, said that if they will push through with the setback, the residents will be instructed to reconstruct their houses at least 0.5 meters away from pathways and nearby roads.

“We may have a hard time doing reblocking because these are titled lots. This is why it may be better to do a setback,” said Alcoseba.

Alcoseba told reporters that while the fire site used to be a city-owned property, most of the residents already owned the lots under a socialized housing program.

“The lots are already titled and fully paid,” said Alcoseba.

However, she said they identified around six to seven houses that once stood on a property owned by the Aznars, one of Cebu’s prominent families.

“Hopefully, the families living in these houses may be able to rebuild there (Aznar property) since we’re planning to do a negotiation,” Alcoseba said.

The Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CCDRRMO) recorded that 22 houses, 58 families, and 250 individuals were affected by the fire.

Firefighters received the alarm at 2:58 P.M. It was finally placed under control at 3:27 P.M. or nearly 30 minutes later.

The cause of the fire had yet to be determined.

An elderly, identified as Amado Maglinte (previously reported as Amado Opura by fire investigators), was the lone casualty.

Maglinte, who was paralyzed, was unable to escape the flames.

His charred body was found in what is said to be a pathway leading to the interior parts of Sitio San Miguel.

Most of the victims are now staying inside the Lorega Sports Complex where help, such as relief goods, both from the city government and concerned private groups started to pour.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: fire, Lorega, setback, Site

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.