Quisumbing promises to comply with election rules in their campaign
MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — As the campaign period for local candidates kick off on Friday, March 29, reelectionist Mandaue City Mayor Gabriel Luis “Luigi” Quisumbing vowed to self-police their camp to make sure that their supporters do not violate election laws especially in the posting of their campaign materials.
In an interview today, March 26, Quisumbing said they already formed a team that will take down the campaign materials installed by their supporters that violate provisions of the Omnibus Election Code.
“We fully intend to cooperate with the Comelec and comply sa mga requirements. If anything is brought to our attention, that are beyond the limits set by the Comelec or (posted) in places that are not designated (poster areas), we have a team that will be dedicated to make sure that we will be the ones to remove these as soon as possible,” Quisumbing said.
The Omnibus Election Code mandates that campaign posters should not exceed the two feet by three feet allowable size and should only be placed in common poster areas designated by the local Comelec offices.
The only exception allowed by the code are campaign materials used during campaign rallies or miting de avance.
“In announcing the holding of said meeting or rally, streamers not exceeding three feet by eight feet in size, shall be allowed provided, that said streamers may be displayed five days before the date of the meeting or rally and shall be removed within twenty-four hours after said meeting or rally,”says Section 3 of the code on Lawful Election Propaganda.
Meanwhile, Quisumbing said that they no longer intend to hold a kick off rally on Friday to formally open their campaign since all of the Hugpong Mandauehanon sa Pagbabago (HMP) candidates were already introduced to the public by presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio during the Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP) campaign caravan held at the Madnaue City Sports and Cultural Center last week.
“We will begin our campaign activities. Technically we will no longer have our kick off activity since we already had our sort of activity when Mayor Sara was here last week. We will just begin our usual campaign activities (in the barangays),” Quisumbing added./dcb
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.