Dump truck of Bonbon barangay captain set on fire
Cebu City, Philippines—The mini dump truck of Bonbon Barangay Captain Eduardo Cabriana was set on fire by unknown armed men in the wee hours of Thursday, May 9, 2019 outside his home in this mountain barangay of Cebu City.
In an interview with CDN Digital, Cabriana said the incident was a cause of alarm for him and his family.
“Wala man koy kontra sa amoa. Pamulitika gyod ni. Mahadlok na ko para sa akong pamilya kay naa baya koy mga anak ug apo kuyog nako,” said Cabriana.
(I do not have any enemies in our area. This is politically motivated. I am scared because I live my family, with my children, and some grandchildren.)
Cabriana, a supporter of the administration party Bando Osmeña-Pundok Kauswagan (BO-PK) in Cebu City, said he and his family were heading home from the reception of the wedding of his daughter when the incident happened.
He said one of his sons saw armed men surround their truck, pour gas all over, and then set it on fire.
Cabriana has not reported the incident to authorities yet because of his distrust on the police since they were linked to the strafing incidents in the houses of the barangay chiefs in Malubog, Sudlon II, and Sinsin on April 4.
The barangay chiefs of the three mountain barangays are also supporters of BO-PK.
“Naa may tarong nga pulis naa pud dili. Dili lang ko segurado asa ko mosalig run. Grabe naman gud ila panghulga sa amoa diri sa bukid nga mga pobre raman unta mi,” said Cabriana.
(There are good cops and there bad cops. I am just not sure who to trust. The threats are alarming here in the mountain barangays yet we are only poor.)
The barangay chief said that he and his family will no longer vote during the elections on Monday because of the threat that remains to surround his home.
He urged the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to take control of Cebu City and restore order on the mountain barangays so they can vote safely.
Cabriana said he already talked with Mayor Tomas Osmeña and the mayor promised to pay for his damaged property.
Cabriana is one of the recent supporters of BO-PK and members of the administration who received threats days before the May 13 elections.
On May 8, a police car was stationed outside the house of Ronaldo Malacora, the head of the Department of General Services of the City Hall.
Malacora said that police officers on board patrol cars with body numbers 50 and 51 were looking for him and when told that he was asleep, police car 51 left the premise.
As of 6 a.m. of May 9, Thursday, police car 50 has remained outside Malacora’s home in Barangay Buot-Taop for unknown reasons.
Osmeña has previously announced that he would request the Comelec to take control of Cebu City for the elections following the threats and violence he claimed to be perpetuated by the police.
Read more: Osmeña wants Cebu City under Comelec control
Comelec has yet to receive his formal request. /bmjo
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.