Labella: Night market can operate until end of February then …

By: Delta Dyrecka Letigio February 01,2020 - 07:00 AM

Vendors display their wares at the Night Market in Colon Street, Cebu City on this December 3 photo.| CDN Digital file photo

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu City Night Bazaar or more commonly known as the night market is here to stay until the end of February.

This was the statement of Mayor Edgardo Labella on Friday afternoon (January 31), a day after he talked with representatives of the vendors’ associations with regards to the operation of the night market in Colon Street.

The night market features 500 vendors, who were displaced in the October 2019 road clearing operation of the city government in line with the directives of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).

It is open from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. daily in Colon Street from the Osmeña Boulevard Stretch to corner D. Jakosalem Street.

The Market Authority has recommended for its closure for various reasons including the selling of some vendors of their spots to private vendors for 12.5 times the rent Cebu City collects from them.

At least five vendors had lost their spots after they were reported to be selling these spots to private vendors.

READ: Cebu City night market’s fate rests on Labella’s hand

The night market vendors also face issues on garbage, smoking, and littering, The Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) complained of the traffic it caused in the downtown area.

Yet Labella previously said he will hear out the vendors first before deciding on the fate of the night market.

On Friday, Labella decided to extend the night market until February to give the vendors another chance to change the situation.

He said the vendors promised to solve the issues surrounding the night market.

“That’s what they promised, that there will no longer be selling of spots. We shall see. We will give them a chance,” said the mayor.

At the end of February, another assessment will be conducted for the viability of the night market.

If nothing changes, Labella said the city would have to close its operations for good.

He urged the vendors to follow the guidelines and take advantage of this opportunity given by the city government for them to continue selling their goods. /dbs

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: February, Labella, night market, vendors

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.