Gullas tells City Legal Office to study case vs man spreading misinformation on 2019-nCoV

By: Doris C. Bongcac - CDN Digital | February 05,2020 - 01:02 PM

Talisay City Mayor Gerard Anthony Gullas. | CDN File Photo

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Never believe misinformation on the 2019-novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that is now circulating on social media.

Talisay City Mayor Gerald Anthony Gullas said that “if in doubt, you can always approach our health officials or read the latest updates from DOH.”

In a Facebook post Tuesday night, February 4, 2020, Gullas said that he has also referred to the City Legal Office (CLO) the case of a certain Jewel Louie Aviso, who posted on his Facebook page earlier on Tuesday on the alleged presence of a Person Under Investigation (PUI) at the Talisay District Hospital.

A PUI is someone who is suspected to have 2019-nCoV infection.

Read: Talisay City gov’t warns people who spread misinformation on the 2019-nCoV on social media of sanctions

Gullas said that he had Aviso, who used to be part of the Talisay City Rescue Team before we went on Absence Without Leave (Awol) two weeks ago, located by the police and City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO) Head Alvin Santillana to demand for public apology.

Gullas said he will never tolerate anyone who uses the social media to create panic and hysteria amidst the 2019-nCoV threat.

“To all Talisaynons nga nabalaka sa akung post ganina, mangayo lang ko ug pasaylo ninyo kai nabag-ohan lang ko sa akung nakita ganina na nag prepare ang Talisay district hospital ganina para sa Corona Virus. Wala koi intention nga ma panic ang ma tao sa akung gi post kaganiha kay gusto lang ko makatabang, pero sayop mn diay ang information. Usbon ko nga managyo jd kog pasaylo ninyo tanan nga naka cause ug panic,” Aviso posted on his social media page after his talk with Santillana and the police.

“But even with his apology, I will still forward this concern to our legal department for study,” Gullas said.

“I also urge the public to avoid causing unnecessary hysteria by posting unfounded information on social media,” he added.

Gullas said that “the city’s health officials are working hard to make things safe if ever the worst will happen. We hope and pray that will never happen.” /bjmo

 

 

 

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: 2019-nCov, Aviso, DRRMO, misinformation, Samsam Gullas, social media, Talisay City

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.