Tunnel collapse leaves two dead in Talamban
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Rescuers have retrieved the bodies of two persons, who were buried after an improvised tunnel for illegally extracting sand collapsed in Sitio Ylaya, Barangay Talamban, Cebu City, this morning, June 21, 2020.
Barangay Talamban Chief Dario Arcilla told reporters that they had found the bodies of the two persons after more than five hours since it was reported.
Arcilla identified the two dead persons as Erwin Cadampog, 17, and Ramy Cadampog, 28, who were also residents of the area.
Based on the initial information gathered, the two men went to the tunnel to collect sand to be sold when the tunnel suddenly collapsed.
Arcilla said that it took about five hours for the rescuers to find the bodies because the two victims were about 20 feet away from the entrance of the tunnel.
“Nanguha sila og bas nag koy-koy daw ni sila mga 15 meters away sa sapa kay nindot daw og bas,” said Arcilla.
(They were extracting sand 15 meters away from the river because the sand there were good to be extracted.)
Arcilla said extraction of sand in the area was illegal and Barangay Talamban had been strict in arresting those who would be caught illegally extracting sand there.
However, the people tasked to catch people extracting sand in the barangay failed to catch these two men, who died in tunnel collapse, because the tunnel they built were farther away from the riverside. /dbs
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.