CELEBRATING THE NEW YEAR

Chan clarifies: Use of firecrackers allowed in Lapu-Lapu

By: Futch Anthony Inso - Multimedia Correspondent - CDN Digital | December 30,2021 - 04:40 PM
firecrackers

CDN DIGITAL FILE PHOTO

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — The Lapu-Lapu City government will allow the use of firecrackers during the celebration to celebrate the New Year.

Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan confirmed this on Thursday, December 30, 2021.

Chan made the clarification after the Cebu Provincial government, Cebu City government, and Mandaue City government had earlier ordered a ban on the use and sale of any firecrackers in the upcoming celebration of New Year.

This is to prevent secondary disaster, such as fire, especially that there are still fallen trees and debris caused by typhoon Odette on streets, that might be ignited by firecrackers.

“Naa nata’y strategic area kung asa ta magpabuto. Unya naa na sad tay area asa dapita, unya naa kanunay magpahimagno ug duna say precautionary measures nga giandam ang area nga asa sila dapita magpabuto,” Chan said.

(We have a strategic area where we are allowed to use firecrackers. Then we already have an area for this. Then there will be someone who will always monitor and remind [firecracker users] and  we have already put in place precautionary measures for the area where they can use firecrackers.)

Chan has issued an Executive Order on December 6, 2021 identifying areas to hold fireworks display in the city.

These are at the Mactan Circumferential road passing through Barangays Babag, Canjulao, and Calawisan. 

Retailers should secure a special permits issued by the Office of the mayor.

“Required man gani na ang mga maninda gani nga naa gyud silay baril, tubig nga angay andamon,” he added.

(The sellers or vendors are even required to have on the ready a barrel full of water.)

Chan said that they would also be coordinating withe Philippine National Police (PNP) and Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) in monitoring firecracker retailers.

Barangay Babag in Lapu-Lapu City is the only barangay in the entire Cebu Province that is known to manufacture firecrackers.

Aside from that, the police will also be monitoring those, who would use firecrackers to usher in the New Year.

However, Chan said that residents would only be allowed to light firecrackers in firecracker zones in each barangay, which would be identified by the respective barangay officials themselves.

Chan said that those caught lighting firecrackers not in firecracker zones would be apprehended.

RELATED STORIES

As New Year’s Eve nears, PNP to crack down on illegal firecrackers, fireworks

With P100K firecrackers seized, police vow to intensify operations

No major crime, firecracker-related injury in Talisay, Lapu-Lapu on Christmas Day

CCPO official: Refrain from using firecrackers as Odette has left city susceptible to fires

Babag firecracker manufacturers reminded to always prioritize safety

/dbs

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Cebu city government, Cebu Provincial Government, Chan, firecrackers, fireworks display, Mandaue City government

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.