PBA: John Amores looks for new start after being drafted by Northport
MANILA, Philippines—Picked in the fifth round of the 2023 PBA Draft, controversial guard John Amores is looking at this opportunity to show that he’s capable of a “new start.”
Amores, who became the talk of the town last year after running amok during an NCAA game, was selected fifth in the fifth round by NorthPort Batang Pier on Sunday.
While announcing the pick, Northport team manager Pido Jarencio even raised his fist.
Amores may not be able to bury his ugly history right away, but he will try his best to show that change is possible.
“I’m so happy because with what happened to me, this is my best shot for a new start,” Amores said in Filipino at Market! Market! on Sunday. “This is to show that I can change and show people that I’ll do what’s best for my career.”
During the NCAA Season 98, Amores went on a rampage and ended up throwing punches against several players of College of St. Benilde.
As a result, he was banned indefinitely from the league, expelled from Jose Rizal University, and even had cases filed against him.
With his college career prematurely ending, Amores took opportunities to play with the Zamboanga Valientes in the Asean Basketball League and now has a chance to play with the Batang Pier’s lineup in the PBA.
“I’ll just do my best. Whatever I can bring, I’ll do it. Whatever the team needs, special defense, I’ll provide it. I will help them,” said the 23-year-old.
Also drafted by Northport in this year’s draft are Zavier Lucero and Cade Flores in the first round, Brent Paraiso in the third and Fran Yu in the fourth.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.