Cebu Daily Newscast: There’ll be classes on Oct. 31, Nov. 3 but…
Listen to Cebu Daily Newscast and get the latest stories in and around Cebu.
Here’s what you need to know on Friday, October 27.
Students in elementary and high school will have classes on October 31 and November 3 but it won’t be face-to-face.
Dr. Bianito Dagatan, Superintendent of the Department of Education in Mandaue City (DepEd-Mandaue), revealed this as the public prepares for the holding of the Barangay and SK Elections on October 30 and Undas/Kalag-Kalag days on November 1 and 2.
Dagatan said students can still choose to answer the modules before or after the above-mentioned days, especially since some families prefer to visit cemeteries before or after All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day on November 1 and 2, to avoid larger crowds.
Teachers are also not required to report to the school on those days. Teachers and students are expected to return to school on November 6.
Meanwhile, a drunk man died after he accidentally fell into an underground charcoal oven in Barangay Kayam, San Remigio, Cebu early Thursday morning.
The victim was identified as 68-year-old Rodolfo Castillo Baril, a charcoal maker and a resident of the barangay.
Police Major Windell Abellana, chief of San Remigio Municipal Station, told CDN Digital in a phone interview that witnesses claimed to have seen Baril fall inside the oven while trying to make charcoal.
He added that some of the victim’s neighbors tried to rescue Baril but failed due to the flames.
In other news, at least 22 people were killed and many more were injured in shootings in the city of Lewiston, Maine city officials reported, overwhelming local hospitals with gunshot victims.
City Councilor Robert McCarthy told CNN that the death toll had risen to 22 in the shooting spree that took place at a bowling alley and also at least one other location, a local restaurant and bar, according to media.
Rescue vehicles rushed in from around central Maine to tend to the wounded, McCarthy said, and the two Lewiston hospitals “have called in every off-duty staff member that they could to deal with this.”
President Joe Biden made calls — while a state dinner honoring Australia’s prime minister was underway — to Maine’s governor, its two senators and a local congressman to offer federal support, the White House said.
In the world of beauty pageants, the Miss International pageant has crowned its 61st queen in Andrea Rubio from Venezuela, who bested 69 other women from all over the world, including the Philippines’ Nicole Borromeo, in ceremonies held in Tokyo on Oct. 26.
Rubio inherited the title from last year’s winner, Jasmin Selberg, and became her country’s ninth winner since the international pageant’s inception in the United States in 1960.
Aside from Borromeo, who hails from Cebu, those who made up the new queen’s court are Sofia Oslo Luna of Colombia (first runner-up), Camila Diaz of Peru (second runner-up), and Vanessa Hayes of Bolivia (fourth runner-runner-up).
Borromeo had to wait more than a year before seeing action on the international stage. She received the Binibining Pilipinas International title in July 2022 from her predecessor, Hannah Arnold, who was sent to the 2022 Miss International pageant later that year.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.