outbrain

Fire victims can’t rebuild, to stay in gym

By: Nestle L. Semilla February 04,2016 - 01:03 AM
 The fire victims of Purok Nangka, Barangay Ibabao-Estancia and Sitio Sto. Niño of Barangay Guizo are expected  to move out by  today after the lot owners said they will sell their properties  to a private buyer. (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

The fire victims of Purok Nangka, Barangay Ibabao-Estancia and Sitio Sto. Niño of Barangay Guizo are expected to move out by today after the lot owners said they will sell their properties to a private buyer. (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

The 187 families displaced by last week’s fire in two barangays in Mandaue City can no longer rebuild their houses in the fire site.

Ibabao-Barangay Captain  Carmelino del Mar Jr. said the lot owners have decided to sell  their properties to a private buyer and  want the fire victims to move out from the area not later than today.

“They sent a letter to the city government suggesting (that) we should transfer (the victims) not later (today) or else they will file appropriate charges against the city government,” del Mar said.

The affected families would be moved to the gymnasium of  Barangay Ibabao Estancia, he said.

“We will meet with (the fire victims) and tell them that they cannot avail of assistance until they move to the gym,” Del Mar said.

Since the gym is located inside the Ibabao-Estancia Elementary school, del Mar said the families could  stay in the gym for two weeks,  after which they have to move out in order not to disrupt classes.

Of the 86 households that lost their homes in the Jan. 29 fire, only  66 were previously allowed by the Amigo-Batiller family to rent  lots and build houses in their 3,000-square meter property.

The rest were informal settlers.

Thus, only  the 66 house owners would receive a P25,000 cash assistance from the Amigo-Batiller family, he said.

Felix Suico, Mandaue City Disaster Risk Reduction management council (CDRRMC) head, however said that all of the fire victims would get financial assistance from City Hall, to be taken from the city’s calamity funds.

He said each  house owner would get  P10,000 while renters and sharers would  receive P5,000.

Data from the City Social Welfare Office showed there were 187 families affected by the fire –  46 renters, 55 house sharers and 86 house owners.

Suico said an overheated electric fan from the house of Jonathan Visitacion Lucernas caused the fire.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.