LIBEL case Arrest warrant issued against actress, manager

By: Ador Vincent S. Mayol February 11,2016 - 09:51 PM

A Cebu City judge has issued a warrant of arrest against TV actress Neri Naig-Miranda and an officer of ABS-CBN in relation to a libel suit filed against them.

Judge Ricky Jones Macabaya of the Regional Trial Court Branch 5 in Cebu City directed the Quezon City Police Station or “any officer of the law” to arrest the accused Miranda and Star Magic road manager Danilyn Nunga and to present them before him.

“You (arresting officers) are hereby commanded to arrest Nunga and Miranda who are said to be found at ABS-CBN corner Mother Ignacia St., Quezon City, and to bring them before this court to be dealt with according to law,” said the judge in the arrest order dated Jan. 13, 2016.

However, the arrest order was only released to reporters yesterday.

Since the arrest warrant was issued, Miranda and  Nunga have not voluntarily presented themselves to the court to post bail in the amount of P10,000 each.

Miranda of ABS-CBN’s Star Magic and Star Magic road manager Nunga were indicted by the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office last year for posting on Instagram a photo of  two people who were falsely portrayed  as bogus sellers of a camera.

Both accused were charged for violating Republic Act 10175 or the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.

Judge Macabaya said the two accused can be arrested “on any day and anytime of the day or night.”

“A passport size photograph recently taken, showing the face, left and right profile of the accused must be attached to all copies of the bond and the full name and address shall be stated thereon,” the judge said.

Nunga was accused of posting a photo of the complainant Clarence Taguiam and his friend Donna Marie Go on Instagram.

In her post last April 30, 2015, Nunga said she  bought a GoPro Hero3 Action camera but failed to get it despite having paid P7,500.

The message was reposted by Miranda, the wife of Parokya ni Edgar rock band vocalist Chito Miranda.

The prosecutors’ office said Miranda is equally liable because she didn’t bother to verify if the message was truthful.

Taguiam denied ever selling a camera.

Miranda and Nunga removed the alleged “malicious” Instagram post upon the request of the complainant’s lawyer.

However, no public apology or statement was issued to clear the name of Taguiam or his friend.

The two accused also did not submit any counter-affidavit to the prosecutor’s office when the case was being investigated.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: ABS-CBN, Cebu CIty Prosecutor’s Office, Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012, Mother Ignacia St., Neri Naig Miranda, Quezon City

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.