Security raised in ports, terminals for Holy Week

By Apple Ta-as, Jhunnex Napallacan |March 23,2016 - 10:16 PM
Police officers and security guards detailed at the South Bus Terminal inspect passengers’ bags. (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

Police officers and security guards detailed at the South Bus Terminal inspect passengers’ bags. (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

SECURITY is raised at bus terminals and ports in Central Visayas due to yesterday’s large turnout of passengers who are headed to their hometowns for the Holy Week break.

Chief Supt. Manuel Gaerlan, regional director of Police Regional Office Central Visayas (PRO-7) inspected the security detail at the terminals and ports in Cebu City yesterday morning.

“As we can observe it (South Bus Terminal) has complete security guards with emergency medical teams ready to respond. I hope that the presence of our policemen, will deter criminals,” he told reporters.

Gaerlan asked the public to be vigilant and report suspicious-looking people in light of the Brussels bombings.  But he clarified that there is no specific threat the police has monitored so far.

“We do not want to take it lightly, we assume that there is always a threat,” he said. Gaerlan said ports and terminals remain a favorite targets of criminals since it is packed with people especially during holidays.

“There are a lot of trips and it is considered as a crowded area. It is the terrorists’ favorite ploy to attack the weak and innocent people that is why we should help each other in reporting,” he said.

The Philippine Coast Guard Cebu station said an Ozamis City-bound passenger identified as Florande Butohan, a market vendor from Minglanilla town, was arrested for bringing a gun at Pier 1 in Cebu City.

No other major incidents were reported as the Coast Guard seized six colorum motor bancas.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB-7)  issued special permits to 72 buses and eight mini-buses, mostly for Hagnaya in San Remigio and Daanbantayan.

LTFRB-7 Director Ahmed Cuizon said his office also issued special permits to 73 passenger jeepneys that were hired by groups of people or families for trips to northern Cebu. “With the special permits issued to them, they can travel outside of their regular line,” Cuizon said.

As of noon yesterday, the Coast Guard reported 171,046 outbound passengers that passed through Cebu’s ports since March 18 as well as 155,343 inbound passengers.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.