Dumpit’s lawyers off to Leyte

By: Doris C. Bongcac May 15,2016 - 10:47 PM
DUMPIT NEW ASSIGNMENT/JULY 08,2008:SPO1 Adonis Dumpit soon will be the new close in body guard of Judge Geraldine Faith Econg.(CDN PHOTO/LITO TECSON)

DUMPIT (FILE PHOTO)

The lawyers of SPO1 Adonis Dumpit will depart for Leyte today to pay his bail, after processing the necessary papers for his release.

Lawyer Benjamin Militar said they will get a certified true copy of the decision of the Court of Appeals, granting Dumpit’s Petition for Bail.

“We have to clear this with the CA first because Dumpit has to be presented in court. He will have to sign some documents and have his picture taken before he will be allowed to go back to Cebu City,” Militar told Cebu Daily News in a phone interview.

Bail will be posted at the nearest Regional Trial Court or Municipal Trial Court in Abuyog, Leyte, where Dumpit is presently detained at the Leyte Regional Prison.

On Friday, the CA Cebu Station issued an order granting Dumpit’s petition for bail, giving him temporary freedom while his case is on appeal.

Associate Justice Pablito Perez of the CA 20th Division said in a resolution that he found no sufficient basis to deny Dumpit’s application for bail.

He said that Dumpit had been detained for six years, already equivalent to the minimum period of his sentence and exhibited good behavior as a detainee.

Perez’s ruling was approved by Justices Pamela Ann Maxino and Gabriel Robeniol.

However, Dumpit will not be allowed to leave the country without approval from the appellate court.

CASH BOND

Militar said Cebu City mayor-elect Tomas Osmeña called him on the phone on Sunday morning to assure him that the P250,000 cash needed for Dumpit’s bail was already available.

Osmeña posted on his Facebook page on Friday that as a birthday gift to Dumpit, who used to be his security detail, he will be the one to pay the controversial policeman’s bail.

Militar said Osmeña made a commitment to hand over the money to him and Lawyer Pedro Leslie Salva this morning.

According to Militar yesterday, several individuals including some of Dumpit’s friends expressed their interest to join them in their Leyte trip. But he was unable to give an exact number of their traveling companions on their trip today.

Militar said after Dumpit is released, they will clarify with the CA whether or not the latter could go back to active police service.

“He (Dumpit) has been exonerated from his administrative case, but was convicted in the criminal case. The question now is if he could go back to his unit,” Militar said.

Dumpit was assigned to the city’s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) before he was jailed for the Dec. 14, 2004 death of Ronron Allosada Go in

Barangay Tejero. He was convicted of homicide in August, 2014 and was detained on Feb. 1, 2010.

“If he cannot return to police service, then he will have to be assigned as mayor Osmeña’s bodyguard for as long as he has a permit to carry a firearm,” Militar said.

Militar said the CA decision on his release from detention does not mention whether or not he could return to active police service. The order only prohibits him from traveling abroad without the CA’s prior approval.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Cebu City, homicide, SPO1 Adonis Dumpit

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.