DILG: Loot to remain as Daanbantayan mayor
Allegations of being a drug protector may have been hurled at him, but unless proven to be true, retired police General Vicente Loot will remain as the newly-elected mayor of Daanbantayan, according to the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
“Let due process take its course. If there are any orders, we will just follow. As far as the DILG province is concerned, Mayor Loot is still mayor of Daanbantayan,” DILG Cebu Provincial Director Jerome Gonzales told Cebu Daily News in a phone interview.
This was echoed by DILG-7 Regional Director Rene Burdeos who said that his office has not received any directive to conduct an investigation on Loot.
Loot flew to Manila yesterday to meet with Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa to explain his side on President Rodrigo Duterte’s accusation naming him as one of five generals coddling drug lords. Before leaving Cebu yesterday morning, Loot dropped by the office of Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III and showed some of the documents which he planned to show dela Rosa including a copy of a letter dated July 5, 2013 signed by Duterte and addressed to President Benigno Simeon Aquino III.
In that letter, Duterte, then mayor of Davao City, recommended Loot for the post of police director for the Davao region while praising the general for his track record.
“Loot has served in the police service in different supervisory, management and directorial capacities since 1982, receiving numerous awards, citations and commendations for his commendable and invaluable service with the Philippine National Police,” Duterte said in his letter.
Loot also showed reporters a letter dated October 7, 2013 by former PNP Chief Alan Purisima clearing him of allegations that he had protected drug personalities during his time as deputy regional director for administration of PRO-8 in Eastern Visayas.
“I can understand what they are feeling. These generals, retired and active, are really affected. Even their families and their professional career,” Davide told reporters in a separate interview.
As of 10 p.m. last night, Loot had yet to meet with the PNP Director General in Camp Crame as dela Rosa was reportedly still in another meeting. The Daanbantayan mayor and retired general had been waiting for an audience with the PNP chief since 7 p.m.
Aside from Loot, Duterte, on Tuesday, also named former PNP Deputy General Marcelo Garbo, former Western Visayas Police Director Bernardo Diaz, former National Capital Region Police Office Chief Joel Pagdilao and former Quezon City Police District Chief Edgardo Tinio as alleged drug protectors.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.