Driver fears for safety after weekend raid

By Ador Vincent S. Mayol, Izobelle T. Pulgo |October 11,2016 - 10:12 PM
Canangca-an (Center)

Canangca-an (Center)

A DAY after being released from jail, Adhmann Canangca-an said he fears for his family’s safety and his life.

In yesterday’s press conference held at the office of his lawyer Rameses Villagonzalo, Canangca-an and his wife Priscilla said heavily armed men whom they claimed to be police officers raided his house last Saturday.

The raid was conducted by Talisay City police in coordination with the provincial police and Minglanilla police after they received reports that Talisay City barangay councilman Felix Abacajan Jr. was staying there.

Abacajan, an alleged hitman, is Canangca-an’s cousin.

The barangay councilman and his younger brother Joeser were the subjects of a search warrant issued by Judge Gilbert Moises of the Regional Trial Court Branch 18 for illegal possession of firearms.

Last Wednesday’s shootout at Abacajan’s home in Barangay Maghaway, Talisay City led to the death of Joeser and a certain Julian Bonghanoy Jr.

Abacajan sustained a gunshot wound on his left shoulder and Canangca-an drove him to safety.

Canangca-an surrendered to police last week and posted a P120,000 bail last Monday.

“That is his right under our laws,” said Supt. Aileen Recla, acting Talisay City police chief.

Recla said they have a strong case against Canangca-an.

Police filed charges of attempted murder against Canangca-an at the Talisay City Prosecutors’ Office last Friday.

Asst. Prosecutor Hyacinth Jadraque upgraded the case to direct assault with attempted murder since the complainants were police officers, Villagonzalo said.

She said while they didn’t find Abacajan at Canangca-an’s house, they confiscated at least five video karera machines from his house.

Canangca-an’s wife, Priscilla, said she had lunch with her husband at jail while her children ate at home when the raid occurred at noon.

She claimed the policemen had no search warrant when they searched for video karera machines and did not identify themselves.

Priscilla said she tried to talk to one of the police officers on the phone but he allegedly mocked her and told her his name is “Brother Louie Louie” before hanging up on her.

She said she advised her children to try and take photos and video of the police officers but one of them noticed her son doing so and forcibly took his phone from him.

Priscilla also alleged that the men took the hard drive containing the security camera footage from their home.

She said the incident traumatized her children, her 18-year-old son and her 15-year-old twin girls.

When told about the firearms found in his vehicle, Canangca-an said he doesn’t own any guns and the items were given by his friends.

Villagonzalo said the family is studying whether or not to file charges against the police.

In a press statement read by Villagonzalo, Canangca-an said he’s not involved in illegal drugs or any criminal activity.

Recla denied accusations by Canangca-an’s camp that the police took a security camera’s hard drive from their house.

Chief Supt. Germano Mallari, chief of the Cebu Provincial Police Intelligence Branch, said they are still looking for Abacajan.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.