Lawin downgraded, to leave PAR today; marine travel back
DOWNGRADED from super typhoon status, Typhoon Lawin (international name: Haima) is expected to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility tomorrow afternoon, at 675km west northwest of Basco, Batanes.
According to Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) weather observer Boy Artiaga, Cebu will experience improving weather
conditions by tomorrow.
He said the weather is expected to be sunny in the morning, with cloudy skies and scattered rainshowers in the afternoon and evening.
Sea travel from Cebu to Manila and other parts of the country also resumed at 10 p.m. last night after Pagasa lifted the gale warning.
Artiaga said that in general, coastal waters will be moderate while the southern part of Cebu near Siquijor will experience moderate to rough seas.
Agapito Bibat, Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) Cebu Station Commander, said sea vessels were allowed to leave the ports although the seas were still rough due to winds caused by typhoon Lawin.
“They can actually leave the port. But the ship/boat captains have the discretion whether or not it would be safe for the passengers to travel,” he said in an interview.
“If the waves are still strong, then better not to travel yet so as not to compromise the lives of people. But on the part of Coast Guard, there’s no longer any prohibition for any sea vessel from sailing,” he added.
Eleven inter-island passenger vessels and three cargo vessels bound for Metro Manila and Catanduanes canceled their trips on Wednesday due to the bad weather condition.
The cargo-passenger vessels that canceled their trips were those bound for the neighboring islands of Bohol, Leyte, Masbate, San Carlos City and to Bantayan Island.
No travel advisory has been issued.
Despite moderate seas, Artiaga urged fisherman who would go out to sea to be cautious because possible thunderstorms could create rough waves.
Bibat, on the other hand, said so far they have not received report regarding any maritime accidents.
Artiaga said around four more typhoons are expected to hit the country before the year ends.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.