Fire guts old building inside Hayco’s compound
A fire hit the compound owned by Edward Hayco, the chairman of Cebu City Sports Commission and president the Dancesports Team Cebu City, gutting a two-story building, one of the fours structures inside his compound along Hernan Cortes Street, Barangay Banilad, Mandaue City.
The building, which was used as a staff house but was unoccupied at the time of the fire, was completely burned during the fire, said fire investigator SFO2 Cipriano Codilla Jr. of the Mandaue City Fire Station.
Codilla said they received the fire alarm at 9:12 a.m., placed the fire under control at 9:25 a.m. and completely put it out at 9:45 a.m.
Codilla said the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit. Damage was placed at P150,000.
He said Hayco noticed the fire coming from the ceiling of the building and because the structure was old and made of a mix of concrete and wooden materials, the fire spread rapidly.
Hayco admitted they were no longer checking its wiring system especially at the ceiling, which could have already been exposed due to decayed insulation or rat activities, added Codilla.
There were three other structures inside the compound, including a furniture workshop, which were spared by the fire, Codilla said.
Hayco also owns a furniture store and Port Restaurant on Waterfront Hotel in Lahug, Cebu City.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.