Arleigh Sitoy, former PB member, passes on at 58

By: Nestle L. Semilla November 14,2016 - 11:21 PM


“HE wanted to live.”

Presidential Legislative Liaison Office (PLLO) head Adelino Sitoy said that his son, former provincial board member Arleigh Sitoy, fought for his life until the end.

“Iyahang gusto g’yud di unta siya kuhaon usa sa Ginoo kay gusto pa siya motabang nako dinhi sa Malacañang (He hoped that the Lord would give him a chance to live longer because he wanted to help me in Malacanang),” Adelino Sitoy said.

Arleigh Sitoy died yesterday at 1:44 p.m. after he succumbed to a pulmonary embolism. Arleigh was 58; he would have turned 59 this December 8.

Adelino Sitoy said that he asked Arleigh to work with him in Malacañang as his consultant.

Adelino said that his son had been in and out of the hospital for three weeks because of kidney trouble.

And last Saturday, Adelino said Arleigh suffered a heart attack and went into a coma.

The former mayor of Cordova town and former PB member was in coma after being confined at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Makati City.

Arleigh was supposed to undergo kidney transplant last Nov. 2, but it was postponed. He also had a heart bypass operation just this year.

Cristina Sitoy, Arleigh’s wife, said Arleigh died after he suffered a pulmonary embolism.

Arleigh served as town mayor of Cordova for three terms from 1998 to 2007. He then served as Provincial Board member for two terms before running again for mayor in Cordova, but he lost to his sister, Mary Therese Sitoy-Cho in the last election.

Capitol reaction

Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale described Arleigh as one of the hardworking members of the Provincial Board.

“He did not even hesitate to accept the committee on complaints and investigations even if it is a very demanding committee. We will miss him,” Magpale said.

She said that it’s just unfortunate that Arleigh died early, but she said that it’s good that he can now rest in peace because she saw the struggle of the late board member.

She said that she knew that Arleigh wanted to live longer and that she knew that the zest for life was there.

“He was a jolly man. He never lost his sense of humor even if he is angry or is in pain,” Magpale said.

A joint resolution sponsored by sixth district PB members Thadeo Jovito Quano and Glenn Bercede was passed on Monday extending the PB’s deepest sympathies and condolences to Sitoy’s family.


Adelino Sitoy said Arleigh’s remains would be brought to Cebu today and his wake would be at the Cosmopolitan Memorial Chapel in Barangay Apas, Cebu City.

There would also be a scheduled wake for Arleigh at the Capitol, to give government employees a chance to pay their respects to the former Provincial Board member.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Adelino Sitoy, Arleigh Sitoy, Board Member, embolism, hospital, kidney, lukes, PLLO, Presidential Legislative Liaison Office, pulmonary embolism, St Luke's, transplant

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.