Looc residents, school oppose container yard operation
ABOUT 50 residents of Sitio Superior in Barangay Looc, Mandaue City voiced their opposition against the operation of another container yard in last Sunday afternooon’s public hearing.
Officials of the Mandaue City Comprehensive National High School and representatives of the Oceanic Container Lines Inc., both aired their sides on the issue in public hearing chaired by Barangay Looc officials at the Oceanic Container Yard.
The Oceanic Container Lines Inc. were given until August 10, 2017 to comply with their requirements for a business permit after the City Legal Office learned they were operating without one.
Gleen Silawan, Asst. Vice President for Regional Operations for the Oceanic Container Lines Inc. said they are willing to comply with requirements.
He said they were originally located at the Mandaue City reclamation area within the Subangdaku area but expanded to Barangay Looc due to lack of space.
Dr. Fe Magale, principal of Mandaue City Comprehensive National High School said classes in school had been affected due to the dust and the presence of large container vans that restrict ventilation to classrooms since December last year.
Close to 200 residents and high school representatives signed a petition addressed to Barangay Looc officials opposing the continued operation of the container yard.
The yard is located at a 6,000 square-meter lot owned by Antonio Ouano located at J.M. Ceniza Street corner A. Soriano Avenue Barangay Looc, Mandaue City.
The complaint had been addressed to the mayor’s office.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.