After recent earthquakes, here are some important tips to remember
Cebu City, Philippines— Parts of Luzon were jolted by a 6.1 magnitude earthquake on Monday afternoon, April 22, 2019.
Also on Monday in Mexico (Tuesday in the Philippines), a magnitude 5.4 earthquake caused tall buildings to sway in the nation’s capital Mexico City.
With these recent events, Cebu Daily News Digital gathered some important tips to remember before, during and after an earthquake.
BEFORE AN EARTHQUAKE:
1. Learn the earthquake plans at your school, workplace and in your home.
2. Anchor all heavy furniture and appliances on your walls and floors.
3. Avoid putting heavy objects on overhead shelves to avoid them from falling.
4. Keep a list of emergency numbers.
5. Always charge your gadgets to make sure you can contact your family and friends in time for an earthquake.
6. Always keep a radio in your home or workplace, radios are still considered as one of the fastest way to keep you updated of the situation.
7. Learn basic first aid.
DURING AN EARTHQUAKE:
1. STAY CALM.
2. Remember the three basic steps to do, DOCK, COVER and HOLD.
3. If you are outdoors, stay away from building or posts that might fall. Find an open space to secure safety.
4. Don’t use elevators.
5. If inside a car, stop the car and stay inside until the shaking stops.
AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE:
1. Once the shaking is done look for a much secure place and watch out for falling debris.
2. Check gas, water and electric lines for damage before using.
3. If you are at work or in school follow emergency plans, calmly.
4. Check for injuries and missing people in your group.
5. Turn on radio, T.V. or check the internet for news updates.
6. REMAIN CALM.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.