No more Manila actors in Battle of Mactan reenactment

By: Futch Anthony Inso - CDN Digital Correspondent | March 23,2021 - 09:36 PM

The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) has implemented restoration works on the Magellan Memorial monument in preparation for the 500th anniversary of the Battle of Mactan. | Photo grabbed from the Lapu-Lapu City Tourism, Historical and Cultural Affairs Commission’s Facebook page

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — The Lapu-Lapu City government will implement changes in the upcoming reenactment of the Battle of Mactan, in line with the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Victory at Mactan.

Cindi Chan, the chairperson of the City Tourism Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (TCHAC), said that one of the major adjustments that they implemented is that part of the reenactment will no longer be held at the sea.

Chan said that they will just prepare a stage at the Liberty Shrine in Barangay Mactan, where the reenactment will be held on April 27, 2021.

“Dili na sa dagat. Magbutang lang ta ug LED televisions sa stage, para sa iyang effects,” Chan said.

She said that they have already conducted an audition to select performers for the reenactment and that they are currently undergoing an acting workshop.

Out of 150 performers who passed the audition, only 100 will make the final cut.

Aside from this, Chan said that due to the tight budget, they will no longer hire actors and actresses from Manila, but instead, they will just hire Cebuano artists.

Chan revealed that Miss Lapu-Lapu 2019 Kashel Serafica will give life to the role of Reyna Bulakna during the reenactment.

Coach/Trainor of Lapu-Lapu Arnis team, Jonel Espinosa Pepito, will also play the role of Datu Lapulapu. The city is yet to decide on who will play Ferdinand Magellan.

Currently, the city has already started beautifying the surroundings of the Liberty Shrine.

Aside from this, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) has also implemented the project restoration of the Magellan Memorial monument, in partnership with the TCHAC.

The reenactment will be graced by President Rodrigo Duterte, who confirmed his attendance during the visit of Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan in Malacañang last week.

Chan said that currently, the city is expecting around 300 audiences, who will witness the celebration, including the dancers and performers.

She added that they will submit the names of the attendees to the Presidential Security Group (PSG), as protocol, for the president’s safety.

“We are now in the initial stages pa sa atong guest lists. And we will be submitting this to the NQC (National Quincentennial Committee) ug sa PSG,” she added.

Chan also urged Oponganons to stay-at-home during the said activity, for it is not open to the public. However, the public can still view the activity, through livestreaming on Facebook.

She said that the city has allocated P9 million for the said activity. /rcg

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: 500th anniversary, Battle of Mactan, City Tourism Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission, Lapu-Lapu City, Liberty Shrine, Pres. Rodrigo Duterte, Reenactment, streamlined, Victory at Mactan

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.