Family, contacts of meningo victim test negative for symptoms
HEALTH officials said all relatives and co-workers who were in contact with the 50-year-old man from Danao city who died of meningococcemia were cleared after showing no symptoms of the disesase.
Reynan Cimafranca, chief of the Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit of the Department of Health (DOH-7), said their contact tracing was completed.
Family members and workmates of the victim did not exhibit signs of the disease.
“Although the case is closed, we still advise the public to be extra vigilantful,” Cimafranca said.
The 50-year old crane operator from Danao City died at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) last Aug. 16.
Cimafranca corrected a report in other media outlets that said another male patient of barangay Taytay, Danao City was confined at VSMMC for suspected meningococcemia.
“ That patient was confined for a viral infection last week and is recovering. He was suspected of contracting dengue,” Cimafranca said.
He urged those who have symptoms of meningooccemia to consult a doctor since early detection is important for recovery.
Symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat and skin rash in severe cases.
Meningococcemia is an acute and potentially life-threatening bacterial infection of the bloodstream caused by the neiserria meningitis bacteria.
The bacteria frequently live in a person’s upper respiratory tract without causing visible signs of illness.
It can be spread through respiratory droplets from coughing, sneezing, kissing or sharing foods, drinks, and utensils.
Cimafranca said there was no need to panic. A vaccine is available for areas at high risk of the disease.
No other confirmed case of meningococcemia has been reported in Cebu.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.