Cebu City’s tourism sector to get typhoon aid

By: Delta Dyrecka Letigio - CDN Digital | February 09,2022 - 03:32 PM

CEBU CITY, Philippines—Cebu City’s tourism sector that was greatly affected by the wrath of super typhoon Odette will be getting the needed aid. 

Tourism Commissioner Jocelyn Pesquera said that they are continuously assessing the damages sustained in tourist spots in the city. 

“Naa natay initial nga assessment pero dili pa namo makumpleto kay they are also taking into account the damages that they are claiming in their insurance. Mao na amo pa nang gireconcile kay some ilang giapil pud nila sa damage ilang loss of income. Gisuta pa na sa atong opisina,” said Pesquera. 

(We already have an initial assessment but we cannot complete it yet because they are also taking into account the damages that they are claiming in their insurance. That’s what we will reconcile because some included in the damage their loss of income. Our office is still looking into this.)

The affected tourism sector of the city are mostly those located in the mountain barangays, where the Highland Bloom program was launched last year. 

READ: Cebu City Tourism relaunches Highland Bloom and Ecotourism project

Many of the resorts or farms reported damaged landscape, flowers, structures, and the utility connections.

The tourists spots in the urban areas of the city are usually heritage sites such as Fort San Pedro, Museo Sugbo, and Magellan’s Cross. Although these sustained damages, they reopened to the public shortly after the typhoon. 

The businesses in the mountain barangays such as Busay, Taptap, Sirao, and others were gravely affected. 

Pesquera said they are planning to provide assistance to the affected establishments, resorts, locals, and affected stakeholders.  This may be in the form of financial aid or other means. She said she will discuss the matter with Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama. 

It took nearly a month before many of the top sites for local tourist spots such as the Gaslamp District and Temple of Leah to reopen.

The Sunset Cruise, which was launched in late 2021, had to be temporarily stopped following the typhoon as well. 

Pesquera appealed to the City Council to help the tourism sector through extension of deadlines and providing amnesties for taxes. 

“Atong iawhag ang Council nga iextend ang period sa amnesty atol sa pagpamayad sa mga business taxes, ug amnesty nga dili ma penalty,” she said.

(We are calling on the Council to extend the period of amnesty in the paying of business taxes, and amnesty that there won’t be any penalty.)

The extension of the amnesty will help the struggling establishments and encourage them to pay their taxes without penalty. 

Pesquera urged the public to support the local tourism in Cebu City so that the tourism sector can bounce back from the recent tragedy. 

/bmjo

 

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Gaslamp District, Highland Bloom, Sunset Cruise, Super typhoon Odette, Temple of Leah, Tourism Commissioner Jocelyn Pesquera

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.