Cebu City chapels can now hold fiesta masses, confessions

By: Delta Dyrecka Letigio - CDN Digital Multi-Media Reporter | February 11,2022 - 05:11 PM

 

Sto Nino

STANDING GUARD. A giant image of the Holy Child facing the Mactan Channel as if guarding Cebu City against marauding invaders is the main feature of the Senior Citizens Park Chapel which was opened to the public recently. | Delta Dyrecka Letigio

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Chapels in Cebu City can now hold masses, confessions, and even fiesta masses as long as health protocols are set in place.

This was revealed by the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) shortly after a meeting with the Archdiocese of Cebu on February 11, 2022.

“Chapel masses are now allowed after the coordination meeting with different parish priests in Cebu City for the review of protocols on different religious activities and COVID-19 status. This meeting was held at Archbishop’s Palace,” said Councilor Joel Garganera, the deputy chief implementor of the EOC.

“It was announced during the meeting that masses, fiesta masses, and confessions on chapels are now allowed provided that protocols must be put in place. First Friday masses are also allowed,” said Garganera.

The chapels can start holding these activities again this weekend.

The easing of restrictions is also in preparation for the upcoming Lenten season activities which the city government and the archdiocese are still discussing how these will go on.

Garganera said easing restrictions always come when the cases are low or at least at this point, on a downtrend.

The city currently has only 3,569 active cases, with only 102 new cases recorded on February 11, 2022, as compared to the 329 recoveries on the same day.

The daily positivity rate, which has been dropping consistently in the past two weeks, is now at 11.59 percent.

The hospital utilization rate is also low at 39.03 percent. The death toll for February is at 24 so far.

The COVID-19 situation in the city gives the EOC hopes for a lower alert status by February 15, 2022. The city is currently under Alert Level 3.

Garganera said that while restrictions are being lifted in many sectors, he hopes the public will remain vigilant at all times as collective behavior determines the trend of the virus.

He reminds the public to maintain the basic health protocols and get vaccinated or boosted. /rcg

RELATED STORIES:

Cebu City hopes for Alert Level 2, now under ‘moderate risk’

No patients yet in Cebu City’s  Moses Isolation Center

 

 

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Archdiocese of Cebu, Cebu City, chapels, CONFESSIONS, EOC, fiesta masses, health protocols, masses

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.