APEC, CV security tightened after Italian kidnapping
THE kidnapping of an Italian businessman in Dipolog City in Mindanao on Wednesday prompted the tightening of security of high level officials attending the ongoing seven-day Transportation Ministerial Meetings of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) in Cebu.
The Coast Guard in Iloilo deployed more boats to beef up the security at sea in Central Visayas, including Cebu. The deployment was made after Rolando del Torchio, a former missionary of
Vatican’s Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME) and owner of Ur Choice Pizza House, was taken from his restaurant and allegedly dragged by six men to a waiting pumpboat at the nearby boulevard.
“They asked for help to cordon the area for possible escape routes. Immediately after receiving the information, we disseminated this to commanders on the field in Negros Oriental, Siquijor and Bohol, and even the northern parts of Cebu,” said Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, spokesperson for Site Task Group Cebu.
“Because this is the second incident of kidnapping, we have to review again our deployment of sea assets. As part of the conference last night (Wednesday), the security has been strengthened on the egress and ingress,” said Lawas.
Del Torchio’s kidnapping followed the Samal Island kidnapping last month where four foreigners and a Filipina were abducted by armed men
Meanwhile, the more than 2,000 police personnel deployed to secure the second round of APEC meetings will have a uniform meal made up of a piece of pork, a serving of rice, pancit and two pieces of siomai.
Lawas, who is also the regional directorate chief of staoff of the Police Regional Office, said for uniformity, the six caterers will follow only one menu.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.