Groups oppose Ludo proposal to construct coal-fired plant
Two groups are opposing the proposed coal-fired thermal power plant in Barangay Sawang Calero, Cebu City, saying it will be detrimental to public health and the environment.
Teodorico Navea, secretary general of Sanlakas Cebu, said they will hold a protest rally in front of the Cebu City Hall on Wednesday while the council conducts a public hearing on the proposal.
Sanlakas and the Philippine Movement for Climate Justice (PMCJ) Energy Working Group held a press conference yesterday to express their objections.
Ludo Corp., with partners Marubeni Corporation and Tokyo Electric Power Company, plans to build two 150-megawatt coal-fired generating units in Sawang Calero. The Department of Energy issued in December last year a clearance for a grid impact study for the project.
Navea said they will bring a coffin outside the City Hall tomorrow to symbolize death caused by the pollution generated by coal plants.
“The residents have been first informed about the jobs and other opportunities that they will get, but they have no idea what risk they could get,” Navea said.
He said there have been 960 deaths recorded with the existing 21 coal plants. If the proposed 20 coal plants will be approved, then at least 2,410 deaths may be expected, he added.
“The effects of these (coal plants) can be cancer, heart problems, ischemic, respiratory illnesses and infections,” added Aaron Pedrosa, PMCJ Energy Working Group head.
He noted that the city council passed a resolution three years ago supporting the call to impose a moratorium on the establishment of carbon-intensive and fossil-based technologies to meet the country’s power requirements such as coal plants in favor of transitioning to renewable energy options.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.