Wenceslao battles Cabalquinto in ‘Blow by Blow’
LEYTE’S Rodel Wenceslao will serve as an underdog anew as he is set to fight the reigning Philippine Super-lightweight champion Adones Cabalquinto this coming Saturday at the latter’s hometown in Davao City.
The 10-round non-title showdown between Wenceslao and Cabalquinto will serve as the main event of the “Blow by Blow” Reloaded at the Almendras Gymnasium in Davao.
The 23-year-old Wenceslao, the prized boxer of Team Joeric of young boxing patron Joeric Calisang, recently won via a first-round knockout against Chinese Wang Kung in China last April in Xiangzhou,China. He is also the PBF Super-lightweight champion with a record of 11 wins with four knockouts along with 11 losses.
Wenceslao was the underdog in the PBF Super-lightweight title fight against the heavily favored Weng Haya last year in Danao City, North Cebu.
Meanwhile, the more accomplished Cabalquinto holds a record of 22 wins with 15 knockouts with only a single defeat. According to Calisang, he is very confident that his ward will win over Cabalquinto because of the training they gave him for this fight. “The only way to defeat Cabalquinto is by knockout because we got a very small chance of winning against him by decision,” said Calisang. “Cabalquinto is a tough boxer so Rodel must not be complacent at all times.”
He told Wenceslao that it’s time to extend his winning streak to three. “This is gonna be a great fight. I told Rodel not to get excited too much and always focus himself in the fight,” added Calisang.
He is very optimistic that Wenceslao will add another win to their growing boxing stable in Mandaue City as Reymund Rama staged a big upset last Saturday evening after he won by split decision against ALA Boxing Gym’s Gerard Suico in the curtain opener of the Pinoy Pride 36: A Legend In The Making held at the Saint La Salle Stadium in Bacolod City.
Cabalquinto, 27, for his side agreed that this will be a great fight between him and Wenceslao. Cabalquinto, a former WBC Asian Boxing Council Super-lightweight champion, is fresh from a first-round knockout win against Nelson Gulpe last February 13 in Buluan, Maguindanao.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.