Labella, Barug dads snub Tres de Abril celebration

By: Zena V. Magto |April 03,2019 - 05:20 PM

Members of the Banauan Cultural Group from Barangay Guadalupe perform a dance drama to showcase the life of Cebuano Kaitpuneros led by Leon Kilat./Zena Magto

CEBU CITY, Philippines – No one from among the members of the Barug PDP-Laban group showed up in the Wednesday morning commemoration of the historic Battle of Tres de Abril.

Mayor Tomas Osmeña especially picked on the absence of Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella in a short message which he delivered during the program held at the San Nicolas Proper covered court. The two top officials are eyeing the city’s mayoral post in the May 13 election.

Read More: IBP Cebu City live debate: Mayor Tom O, Vice Mayor Labella to face off on April 22

“This is the irony of it all. They (Barug allies) didn’t bother to show up (in today’s activity), but when a drug lord protector, Imok Rupinta dies, hala mo parada sila atbang sa city hall…” Osmeña said in his speech.

Osmeña was referring to Barug’s display of support for former Ermita Barangay Captain Felicisimo “Imok” Rupinta who was killed in an ambush on November 2017 while on his way home to Liloan town.

Cebu Daily News Digital tried but failed to reach Labella for his comment. City Hall sources said that the vice mayor had other commitments for the day.

City Officials allied with the mayor’s Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK) attended the 121st commemoration of the Battle of Tres de Abril to honor to the fallen soldiers and fighters led by Pantaleon “Leon Kilat” Villegas, who fought for Cebu’s independence against the Spanish rule.

Read More: Cebuanos commemorate 121st anniversary of Battle of Tres de Abril

In his message, Osmeña said that he could not help but notice the absence of opposition group members during the very historic celebration.

“You can imagine what were those Cebuanos dying for? They were dying for you,” Osmeña said.

Meanwhile, Osmeña said that there had been several instances where in the Cebu City government also did its fair share in helping modern day heroes fight their battles.

The mayor made a specific mention of the P10 million assistance which the city government allocate to aid the families that were left behind by the more than 160 soldiers who died during the 2017 Marawi siege. /dcb

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.