Lapu-Lapu’s burial assistance funds depleted — CSWDO head
LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — The Lapu-Lapu City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) has appealed to the City Council to approve the Supplemental Budget (SB) no. 3 that was proposed by Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan worth P45 million.
CSWDO head Annbeth Cuizon said that included in SB no. 3 is the P15 million allocation for the burial assistance for indigent families with family members who died.
Cuizon said that the CSWDO is extending burial assistance to indigent families worth P8,000.
Those who wish to apply to the program would only need to submit a certificate of indigency, certificate of residency, and the death certificate of their family member.
But on Tuesday, August 24, 2021, Cuizon revealed that 20 vouchers that they distributed to burial assistance beneficiaries have been returned to them from the City Budget Office after the program’s budget was already depleted.
“Manawagan ko sa city council nga karon untang Huwebes, kay duna man tay gisang-at dinha nga supplemental budget 3 especially sa atong burial assistance, nga unta ma-approve na kay sa pagkakaron, naa mi 20 kabuok vouchers sa opisina nga giuli sa budget office kay nahurot na gyud ang atong allocation,” Cuizon said.
“So lisod kaayo ug malangan-langan no kay kana urgent ug necessary gyud na nato nga kinahanglanon nga alang intawn sa mga namatyan nato nga igsuon,” she added.
This year, Cuizon said that the city has allocated P8 million for the program. But due to the demand, she said that they’ve even sourced out an additional P1 million from other accounts.
Currently, a total of 1,125 burial assistance applications were approved by CSWDO worth P9 million.
“Last year gani ang P8,000 igo ra, naa pa gani sobra. Karon July palang, hurot na,” she explained.
Cuizon is hoping that the City Council will consider her appeal for the continued implementation of the program. /rcg
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.