Investigation on Baringui-an couple murder continues
Despite cases filed against suspects
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Police in the province continue to investigate the killing of the Baringui-an couple even as cases were already filed against five suspects, all of whom are former or active policemen.
“Although we have already filed the criminal cases against the five but the investigation does not stop there, we are still looking at the possibility of some other factors like political connection, political motive and some possible motives behind the killing,” said Police Colonel Engelbert Soriano, director of the Cebu Police Provincial Office (CPPO).
Ma. Louela Baringui-an and her husband, Pedro, were killed at their home in Sitio Tapok-Tapok, Barangay Panadtaran, San Fernando town on February 13, 2022.
Cases of robbery and double homicide were already filed on February 23, against the suspects identified as Police Staff Sergeant Rene Abella Catamora, Junrey Ypil, Junrey Batobalonos, dismissed police Esmeraldo Quillosa, and Police Master Sergeant Alvin Enad.
According to the extra judicial confessions of Catamora and Ypil, they shot the couple after Pedro allegedly tried to take their firearms from them.
But Soriano said that they will not only focus only on robbery as the possible motive, as what the suspects claimed, as they are still looking on the political angle since Malou was running for town councilor in the coming May elections.
He added that they are also looking at the possibility that there could be a ‘mastermind’ behind the killing.
The couple, Ma Louela and her husband, Pedro, were laid to rest on Wednesday afternoon, February 23, 2022. On the same day, the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7) held a press conference, disclosing the suspects who reportedly surrendered to different police units a few days after the gruesome murder.
Soriano added that they continue to provide security to the children of the slain couple. They are currently under the custody of the town’s mayor.
Soriano also clarified that Police Master Sergeant Alvin Enad is not under their custody as previously disclosed during the press conference at the PRO-7. He said Enad is under camp restriction.
With this, Soriano directed his station commanders to monitor their personnel and always remind them of their duties as public servants.
“Para sa akin, bilang provincial director ng itong tatlo na involve, hindi ito komportable isipin na mayroon kaming kasama na nadawit sa ganitong krimen. Pero ganun talaga ‘yan. Part ito ng internal cleansing ng PNP at kautosan po ng ating mga senior officers through our regional director na talagang kasohan silang lahat,” Soriano said.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.