Cebu City Police readies for convergence during Holy Week
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City police anticipate and prepare for crowd influx during the Holy Week as the city plans to allow religious activities this year.
Police Lieutenant Colonel Wilbert Parilla, deputy director for operations of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), said that they have already prepared their safety measures, especially their police deployment for the Holy Week, which is from April 10 to 16, 2022.
This despite pending the official announcement from the Cebu City government if Holy Week activities will be allowed.
Since this might be the first time in two years, or since the start of the pandemic, that activities will be allowed, Parilla said that they expect convergence, especially during traditional activities such as the Visita Iglesia, Sugat, Pasyon, among others.
“We have already prepared, atoang mga personnel atoa na nga giandam (so as with our personnel). Usually, we already have the template because that is already a yearly activity. And then duna natay mga templates sa mga e deploy nga personnel,(We also have a template for the deployment of personnel)” Parilla said.
“Sa pagkakaron, we are expecting nga daghang mga tawo considerning nga for the last two years, karon pa giusab og balik nga gi allow sukad sa pagsugod sa pandemic. We are expecting nga mudaghan ang tawo that is why we need to focus more on personnel deployment,” he added.
(For now, we are expecting for crowd influx considering that in the last two years, it is just this year that this will be allowed since the pandemic started. We are expecting for convergence that is why we need to focus more on personnel deployment.)
Last March 4, 2022, Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama has previously said that he is inclined to say “yes” to the return of the Lent traditions in the city, given the improvements of the COVID-19 situation here.
Since this will also happen a month prior to May 2022 election, Parilla admitted that it is also challenging for them that aside from the Lenten activities, they are also considering that national candidates might visit the city during these days.
“Dako sad na sya kaayo nga hagit considering nga it might be naay personalities nga muabot coming from the national nato nga mga politicians so mao nay usa sa mga hagit nga atoang pangandaman,” he said.
(It is a great challenge for us considering that there might be personalities who will be here coming from the national, our politicians. This is what we are preparing for. )
Parilla said that they need to “double-up” their measures regarding this additional concern.
Should they will have insufficient personnel for their deployment, Parilla said that they will request additional force from the region.
As of now, Parilla has no exact count of personnel expected to be deployed during the Holy Week pending final guidelines from the city government.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.