Guardo: Sinulog venue 90% ready
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Four days before the Sinulog Festival, construction continues at the South Road Properties (SRP) where the Ritual Showdown will take place.
Officials who visited and inspected the site on Wednesday, January 11 also said they are hoping the venue will be ready by Friday.
Cebu City Councilor Jerry Guardo said that based on their assessment, construction for around 90 percent of the venue had been completed.
“We’re about 90 percent completed and we have to make sure that in time for the Sinulog Mardi Gras na makompleto na gyud ang tanan and that no part or portions sa atong Sinulog ground na makalapok atong performers of contingents,” said Guardo.
These included the stage, the ramp, and the pathway where the performers will be going in and out of the venue, the councilor said.
Guardo also said that much of the efforts are now being focused on the audience area of the Grand Stand.
Mayor Michael Rama stood by their decision to hold the Sinulog this year at the SRP amid criticisms and concerns, including that of Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia.
Much of the backlash from the public stemmed from photos and videos of the muddy areas in the venue as Cebu continues to experience damp weather since the first week of January.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.