outbrain

VP Binay visits towns hit by Seniang

By: Doris C. Bongcac January 05,2015 - 09:19 AM

Vice President Jejomar Binay gave out 7,500 food packs to families affected by tropical storm Seniang (international name: Jangmi) in southern Cebu yesterday.

“Titingnan ko muna ho kung magkano ang [kailangan] pero pinangako po namin kay mayor na magbibigay po kami ng cash assistance. Hindi na ho namin alam kung magkano ang maibibigay namin kasi, tapos na ho ‘yung aming year, maghahabol lang po kami. Katulad ‘nung namatay na lima, sirang-sira ang bahay ‘nun. Kawawa naman,” he told reporters in an interview in Ronda town.

Ronda town was badly hit by Seniang, leaving 13 persons dead and two missing.

Binay also gave cash assistance to families of those who died during the typhoon. The cash was placed on blue customized envelopes with Binay’s name printed on it. The amount inside the envelope was not divulged.

The vice president arrived in Cebu yesterday morning and is expected to stay overnight. He is scheduled to visit the Don Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center today.

Binay said he came to Cebu after he heard of the devastation of last week’s typhoon to help and show his sympathy to the affected families.

“Nakikiramay po kami sa mga nasalanta ng bagyong Seniang at narito po kami ngayon para ipadama sa ating mga kababayan na handang tumulong ang pamahalaan,” Binay said.

Accompanied by Rep. Gwen Garcia of the 3rd district, Binay visited Carcar City and the municipalities of Ronda, Dumanjug and Sibonga.

In Ronda town, he visited the Bahinting family who lost members of their family.

At Dumanjug town, Binay led the distribution of relief goods and joined Garcia and town officials in a boodle fight lunch.

The municipalities of Ronda and Dumajug have already been placed under state of calamity to facilitate use of the LGUs calamity funds for relief and rehabilitation efforts.

Binay’s group later proceeded to Carcar City and the municipality of Sibonga.

 

Related Stories:

‘Seniang’ crosses south Cebu, Central Visayas

Bridge cut off, 15 dead; ‘Worst flooding in 30 years’

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.