Council wants review of Pit-os housing site

By: Jose Santino S. Bunachita February 05,2015 - 09:50 AM

The Cebu City government plans to build a socialized housing site in a one-hectare lot in barangay Pit-os.

But the Cebu City Council’s housing committee wants to make sure that the lot is safe to be used as a relocation site for displaced families.

Councilor Alvin Dizon, who chairs the committee, said based on a review of the documents for the lot purchase, the 10,431 square-meter lot is located in an area which has a slope of around 30 degrees.

An executive session is scheduled on March 11 with the Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP) and the City Planning and Development Office (CPDO) to show actual photos of the slope and terrain of the land.

The session will also discuss the cost estimates of site development projects that are needed to make the area safe.

Moderately rolling
The committee is also asking the DWUP to present a certification from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) indicating that the land is not prone to landslides.

A proposed resolution filed by Councilor Hanz Abella will authorize Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama to enter into an agreement with Mr. and Mrs. Avenescio Piramide for the purchase of the lot at P2,000 per square meter or P20.8 million.

Officials of barangay Apas requested the purchase of the lot to serve as relocation site of families living in lots 942 and 947 in sitio San Miguel whose houses were demolished last year.

Based on a site evaluation report conducted by the DWUP, the property is rectangular in shape.

About 75 percent of the area is “moderately rolling” and 25 percent is slope.

Another site inspection report by the CPDO showed that the property is approximately 30 degrees in slope.

“Based on past experience when the city government didn’t take into consideration the slopes, it ended up having to spend more on site development works,” Dizon said.

He said an MGB inspection of a lot purchase in barangay Sinsin showed that the area is landslide prone.

Dizon said it forced the city government to cancel its plans to build a housing site there.

 

Related Stories:

Budlaan relocation site closure pushed

 

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: barangay Pitos, Cebu City, DWUP, socialized housing

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.