Surigao del Sur earthquakes generate over 5,000 aftershocks
MANILA, Philippines — Over 5,000 aftershocks have been recorded, so far, following the magnitude 7.4 and 6.8 earthquakes that struck Surigao del Sur recently, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Saturday.
As of 4:00 a.m. Friday, the NDRRMC said a total of 5,653 aftershocks have been recorded.
A total of 3,984 aftershocks were from the magnitude 7.4 temblor northeast of Hinatuan on December 2 while 1,669 were from the magnitude 6.8 temblor northeast of Cagwait on December 4.
The NDRRMC said that for the Hinatuan earthquake, 879 aftershocks were plotted, while 53 were felt, ranging from magnitude 1.3 to magnitude 6.6, with intensities ranging from I to IV.
For the Cagwait earthquake, the NDRRMC said 459 aftershocks were plotted, while 10 were felt. Their magnitude ranged from magnitude 1.4 to 5.8, with Intensity IV as the highest intensity recorded.
The NDRRMC said the aftershocks were felt in the province of Surigao del Sur and some parts of Mindanao. The province was also placed under a state of calamity.
Based on the NDRRMC’s latest situation report, almost 700,000 individuals were affected by the earthquakes, which also resulted in three deaths.
Around 6,000 houses and other infrastructure were damaged.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.